What if the driver who hit me doesn’t have insurance?

Saturday, May 6th, 2023

If the driver that hit you does not have insurance or does not have enough coverage to pay for your damages, you may still be able to recover compensation through your own insurance if you elected to purchase uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. Under this coverage, your insurance company will help pay for your damages up to the limits of your policy.

If you do not have UM/UIM coverage, you may be able to file a civil lawsuit against the at-fault driver in pursuit of compensation. Unfortunately, the chances are high that if they do not have insurance, they likely also have little in terms of income and personal assets, making it difficult to actually collect on any civil judgment you may receive. This is why it is extremely important for all drivers to purchase UM/UIM coverage ahead of time to protect themselves from this type of scenario.